Frequently Asked Questions
1. When should I expect to receive information about my child’s teacher, bus information, and beginning of school information?
- A welcome packet containing your child’s classroom teacher and bus assignments along with other important school information will be mailed out in late-August.
2. What should I expect on the first day of school?
- Walking Students: All walking student and parent drop offs will meet the Kindergarten teachers out front of the school on the 6th street side of the building. It will help if they students know their teachers name. The Kindergarten teachers along with the Principal and other staff will be there to assist. Students will get to say goodbye to their parents and get in line with their teacher. Once all the students are present the classes will all walk into the school and start the school day.
- Bus Students: All Kindergarten students will get off the bus and be escorted down to the Kindergarten teachers and join their classmates in the front of the school.
- After School: This is going to be a very long and exciting day for your student. Most students are so excited to get home to tell you all about their first day of school. Some students are understandably tired after the first few days.
3. What are the pick-up and/or drop off procedures?
- If your student is not taking the bus; students can be dropped off between 8:35-8:40, the school day begins at 8:45. Your student will enter through our main entrance located on West Avenue. Pick up will be out front of the school on West Avenue near the Kindergarten exit closer to the 6th street side of the school. Kindergarten children are not dismissed unless a parent/guardian or designated escort is there to take the child home.
4. What safety procedures are in place? How do I enter the building?
- All of our schools exterior doors and gates are locked at all times. The main entrance is locked at 9am. To enter the building a parent must come to the main doors located on West Avenue and ring the bell and wait to be buzzed into the foyer. Once in the foyer they must be buzzed into the main office. If picking up a student for early dismissal the parent must present photo ID and sign the student out to ensure the safety and protection of the child. Students may only be signed out by a parent/guardian or designated escort.
5. Does my student pack lunch or can he/she buy lunch?
- Students have the option of packing or buying lunch each day. Our lunch program works on a debit system and you may pay daily, weekly or monthly. All money is collected in the classroom at 8:45 and sent to the office.
6. What do I do if my student is going to be absent, dropped off late or leave early?
- If you know your student is going to be absent we ask that call our attendance hotline (609) 399-5622. If your student is absent and we do not receive a phone call someone from the school will contact you. All students who arrive late are required to be escorted in by a parent/guardian or designated escort to the main office to be signed in. Parents are required, preferably in writing and prior to 2:30 pm, to send a note or call the school indicating the time the student will be leaving and who is picking them up.
7. Where can I find the supply list?
- The student supply list can be viewed online at; http://www.oceancityschools.org/ , click on Primary School, the supply lists for all grades are located on the left side at the bottom of the director column. Click Kindergarten to view the supply list.
8. Is there a summer reading list and/or math work for the summer?
- On Wednesday May 28, 2014 from 1:30-2:30 we will be hosting a Kindergarten orientation at the Ocean City Primary School. During this orientation we will be passing out a packet of important skills that you can work with your student on over the summer.
9. What are the school hours?
- The school day is from 8:45am until 3:00pm. The main office is open from 7:30am until 4pm.
10. What are the phone numbers I should know?
- Main Office: (609) 399-3191 ext. 6400
- Student Attendance Line: (609) 399-5622
- School Nurse: Phone (609) 814-8749
- Guidance Counselor (609) 399-3191 ext. 6501
For a printed copy of this website click here